Sentnl: 8 week old Lab puppy started to act weird (don't doom&gloom, just give me facts you know)?
Her name is Piper and we got her from the same breeder we got our last lab, Buddy, who lived until 13 years with no problems besides rough play.
Last night she had trouble(?) sleeping, she would lay down for a few seconds and then jump up and race somewhere and back to lay down, she might fall asleep for a few minutes, but would then jump up and repeat, all night, she slept at some 1 hour intervals.
Today, we had a family lunch, and I think she got given a small peice of mince with herbs and possibly small bits of onion (my parents frustrate me because they won't listen to things I say, like "no table food")
She gets 2 weet bix and 1/4 milk 3/4 water for breakfast, 50-100grams of small cuts of raw beef and 3/4-1 cup of kibble for lunch, and the same for dinner (this is what the breeder fed, so I'm keeping her on it for a little while until I know what she will be fed consistantly.
Today however, she developed liquid diarrhea, last week or so it was a mix of solid/slightly soft stool.
She will still play, given whateve toy she favours for the day, but mostly wants to mouth my hands.
She still drinks and eats fine, I watch her to both.
Should I be worried?
If you aren't a fan of raw meat, what are you a fan of? if you don't mind me asking.
I'm not the ignorant or stupid person in this household, It is my parents, who think "everything will be fine" you people may not be vets, but you are other people who most likely share my views on "everything will not be fine if it's not taken care of early"
Answers and Views:
Answer by Nancy B
My guess would be a intestinal parasite like coccidia. Very common in puppies. You should take her back to the vet for a stool specimen if this continues as it will only get worst. Also I am not a fan of raw meats. They are not healthy for us and not for your puppy. /when I give my dogs meats they are always cooked first. My dogs enjoy boiled eggs, meat baby food, boiled rice, and cooked chicken as treats. I use Eukanuba as their regular food. My lab was 14 when she died and never heart disease nor kidney disease.
Read all the answers in the comments.
Add your own answer!