Q: I have A male Doberman Pinscher he is 6 months old and extremely hyper what age do they start to mellow out?
He is always hyper and chewing up anything news papers shoes and he likes to jump on counters and anything he can get into. Is this normal what age will they mellow out or will he always be hyper. And what is a good age to get his ears cropped.
Photo Credit: jsmjr/Flickr
Answers and Views:
Answer by Kayleigh
well he is still a puppy.
also, dobermans are generally a very energetic breed.
but they are also highly Intelligent and loyal which is great...because this means you can teach the puppy to calm down.
maybe trying to associate objects with calmness.
if he really is being a bother and being much too hyper ..
exercise him more. that could be the problem.
puppies reach complete adult hood at around 3 years old.
Answer by Patty
I had my dobies ears done at five months. They are beautiful. My vet also does implants on older dogs. Only a couple of stitches and they stand immediately and look wonderful.
Answer by Laura
Dobermans are a working breed, and are naturally energetic. However, they start to mellow around age 2-1/2 or so. That's a long time. You need to do three things to make sure he is a pet you can live with.
(1) Neuter him. This will curb any tendency to wander, reduce marking, reduce any aggressiveness, and generally make him calmer.
(2) Train him! Start obedience training ASAP. Obedience exercises will teach him to respect you, and will give him a job to do. Dobermans are working dogs. They are happiest when they have a task to perform. Check to see if there is an obedience club in your area. Some large vet practices have obedience, and so do some humane societies. Even Petsmart offers obedience classes. You should also seriously consider crate training him.
(3) Make sure your dog is getting plenty of exercise. Running in the yard is not enough. He needs a long daily walk or run, and/or a good play session or two.
He is way past the age where his ears can be cropped successfully. They should have been done at 8-10 weeks. If cropped now, they will never stand. Leave his beautiful ears as they are.
- How much to get a doberman pinschers ears cropped?
- How well do doberman do in cold weather?
- Did rottweiler come from the dobermann?
Answer by ginbark
He is way too old to have his ears cropped, they must be done between 7-12 weeks old. Dobermans are very active dogs all their lives. You need to give your Dobe more exercise b4 you leave him then crate him so he doesn't chew and get onto the counter. My current Dobe was almost 2 yrs old b4 he was safe to leave loose in the house. And that was after 60 mins of the dog park..
My first Dobe was run for hours and never has safe to leave loose by himself. People often thought he was a pup even when he was 8 yrs old because he was so active.
Read all the answers in the comments. What do you think?