Q: What is the best way to get rid of an english bulldog's smell?
My bulldog is very smelly. We bathe him, but he smells within a few days or a week. How can the good smell last?
We have him groomed once a month.
Photo Credit: tang*lee
Answers and Views:
Answer by backinbowl
Give him a daily Old Spice bath!
Answer by kristen
we had a problem with our Brutus skinking really bad! we give him probiotic pills and fish oil pills every morning along with an egg in his dog food. I've heard probiotics wud help his smell and it must have worked. we used to give him a bath every 4 days because he would produce such a smell that I couldn't take it! I havent bathed him in a week and he still smells great alothough I take baby wipes everyday to his wrinkles and his butt. he also gets daily brushings.
Answer by Jess
Stop bathing him to much. Dogs should only be bathed once every six months unless obviously dirty. Daily brushing will keep them clean and their coats healthy between baths. Overbathing will lead to dry itchy skin. It also strips the dogs skin of its natural oils, when this happens the skin goes into to overload to make more, and creates more dog smell. The more you bath, the more your dog is going to smell. Also dry itchy skin can lead to skin infections such as staph or yeast.
Diet can also play a factor in doggie odor as well. Switch your dog to a higher quality food and in a few weeks you should notice less doggie odor as well.
Nothing you find at a grocery store is going to be a good food. High quality foods can be found at large pet store chains, or online.
There are other high quality dog foods. Here's how to spot them:
- A high quality food will have little or no fillers such as corn, wheat or soy. These aren't very digestable for dogs, and are common food related allergens. Since you were seeing corn meal in the first few ingredients, those are not high quality foods. Foods list ingredients by content, with the ingredient it contains most of at the top.
- A high quality food will not contain BHT, BHA or Ethoxyquin, these are all chemical preservatives that have been linked to cancer.
- A high quality food will not contain by-products of any kind. Meat meals are ok as long as the source of the meat is listed, such as Chicken Meal.
- A high quality diet should have meat as at least the first ingredient., and be made from human grade ingredients. Foods that don't use human grade ingredients often get their ingredients from less than desirable sources, such as meat from animals that were diseased, or euthanized.
- How to get rid of my shar pei dog's rash and bad smell?
- How to get my Bassett Hound to not smell that bad?
Add your own answer in the comments!