Courtney: How to train a dog to become like a police dog?
I’m 13 and I’m wondering how to train my 1 1/2 female German shepherd/norweigian elkhound to become like a police dog. Lol I’m willing to take the time to train her. I trainded her when somebody runs to run after them and bite their butt. (biggest mistake) but she has to stay in the yard and likes to roam. How can I train her to stay in the yard and become almost like a polic dog. Please no mean answers! :)
Answers and Views:
Answer by Stєℓℓa
1. It must be the right dog. A good police dog will be large, naturally aggressive, strong, and have an excellent sense of smell. Most police dogs are un-neutered males, because they are generally more aggressive than neutered males or females. The dog should have an outgoing and energetic personality.
2. Teach the dog basic obedience. A police dog must unquestionably obey his master. He must know how to sit, stay, lie down, and release an object on command. He must trust his master and obey immediately and without hesitation.
3. Train the dog in agility. This means that he will jump over, crawl under, and go around items or objects on command. He also must learn how to quickly go up and down stairs and, in some cases, ladders.
4. Expose the dog to different experiences. Socialize him with many different people in many different situations. He must be acclimated to loud noises, busy traffic, and crowded conditions.
5. Train the dog to sniff out drugs, bombs, or other illegal substances. This is done by teaching him that the smell of the desired object is affiliated with his favorite toy or treat. Through positive reinforcement, he will learn that when he smells the drug, he gets a treat in some form.
Good luck :)
Read all the answers in the comments.
Give your own answer to this question!