blueberrygirl: Can I still crop and dock my miniature pinscher's ears and tail if its 3 months old?
Photo Credit: rengber/Flickr
Answers and Views:
Answer by RnD
why would you want to put a dog - a pup through a totally unnecessary operation??
Answer by BMTHESPIAN
It is to late for the dock Docking is done at 2-3 days old, 5 days at the latest. After that it is an amputation and no responsible vet will do a cosmetic amputation. If he is just now 12 weeks old he is at the outside limit for being cropped. Cropping is done at 7-12 weeks of age, if he is over 12 weeks old he is to old to be cropped also.
Answer by Chapes
It is dangerous to do that–DON"T.
Answer by Tulip
What is ear cropping?
Ear cropping is a surgery that is performed on puppies when they are 9 to 12 weeks old. The pups are anesthetised and part of the ear flap is removed. After surgery, splints and tape hold the ears upright. The veterinarian has to change the bandages regularly until the ears are healed and erect. This may take up to 20 weeks and some ears fail to stand.
Why is ear cropping an issue?
Ear cropping can cause pain and infection, and there are risks with general anesthesia. Ear cropping can also affect behaviour because it is done when puppies are learning about their environment and are developing social behaviour. The pain of ear cropping may make puppies afraid of handling and new situations. These experiences can affect the pups’ behavour when they become adults.
What is tail docking?
Tail docking is a surgery that is performed on puppies when they are 3 to 5 days old: part of the tail is cut off. Usually there is no anesthetic, but local anesthetic may be used. Some breeders put an elastic band around the tail instead. This cuts off the circulation and, after a while, the tail drops off.
Why is tail docking an issue?
Tail docking can cause infection and chronic pain. The pain occurs because extra nerve cells grow in the stump of the tail.
Why are these procedures done?
Ear cropping and tail docking are done to change a dog’s appearance. They are not required for health reasons.
- How much to get a doberman pinschers ears cropped?
- How can i get a Doberman with legally docked tail and cropped ears?
- Is it so necessary to cut the ears of a cane corso?
- Why Caucasian ovcharkas have their ears cropped short?
People began doing the procedures hundreds of years ago when there were few veterinarians. Tail docking was thought to prevent rabies, strengthen the back and improve speed and agility. Ear cropping and tail docking were done in some working breeds to prevent injury while they worked. However, many other working breeds did not have cropped ears or docked tails — for example, retrievers and setters.
Ear cropping and tail docking are still done today because they are traditional for the breed. However, many countries have banned the procedures and breed clubs have accepted this. In those countries, people are used to seeing all breeds with natural ears and tails.
• Ear cropping is illegal in Australia, New Zealand and many European countries. Tail docking is illegal in Norway, Sweden, Cyprus, Greece, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Finland, Germany, and in Australia.
• Let the breeder know from the start that you do not want your pup altered. Do this before the pup is born because tail docking is done within a few days of birth.
• Do not buy from breeders who insist that their dogs have cropped ears or docked tails.
• Lobby North American breed clubs to change their standards. Visit the British Kennel Club website at to compare standards.
• Ask your MLA and your MP to push for legislation against unnecessary surgery on dogs.
• Write to your provincial veterinary association and ask them to sign the Convention of the World Small Animal Veterinary Association.
Answer by Smith4Dogs
I think u've goten the information u need!I will advice u not to Dock or crop the tail
And ear of Pet!unless its no more ur pet,may u want 2 turn it into a house guard.
The best thing u should do is to allow d dog to grow up wiv the ear and d tail,it will still look good.
Answer by blueberrygirl:
Thank you all for your answers, opinions, and suggestions. I'v decided to keep my puppies ears and tail the way nature has ment for them to be.
Read all the answers in the comments. Give your own answer to this question!