Anatolian Shepherd and Kangal – is it the same breed? The Australian Kennel Council says “no”, the British Kennel Club says “yes”. In any case, these are wonderful dogs that are becoming more familiar and more popular in America.
Some of Your Comments:
Lugnos Dee: This video doesn’t reflect much of the greatness of this dog. He is a shepherd that can think for himself strategically when guarding and leading herds, he has the courage and strength to kill wolfs with his bear teeth. In Africa there is a national park where they lead lions, YES LIONS.
Aykut Çağlar: Anatolian shepherd is false. Because in Turkey, The Anatolian shepherd dog is no such kind. This name identify three kind.
- Akbaş - this kind is aggressive and fast. This kind used for personal protection.
- Malakli - this kind is bigger than others and very aggressive. This kind used for protect a property.
- Kangal - this kind is calm to people. But this kind is very aggressive to wolf, bear, cheetah, etc. This type used for herding and herd protection.
These dogs are insensitive to pain. Therefore, these dogs are fearless. These dogs don't hesitate to die for their owners or their missions.
Dog in this video is Kangal.
Lucas Sinclair: Kangal is the Turkish name for this dog
Joelyn Montour: These dogs have the strongest bite force of any dog.
까마귀사막 : There is a reason that it is called the Anatolian Shepherd and not the Turkish Kangal. TURKEY HAS ONLY BEEN A COUNTRY SINCE THE 1920's. However, the ANATOLIAN Shepherd has lived in the region formerly known as Anatolia for thousands of years. The region has been occupied by Gallic tribes, Greeks, Persians, Romans, Mongols, and finally the freaking Turks. Next time read the history that you are all supposedly so proud of.
jiwon hong: If you come to Turkey, they are literally everywhere in the streets.
Guy Says: The kangal has got to be one of the most overhyped breeds with the main gimmick simply being its size. People need to understand that bigger does not mean better. Take the American Pit-bull for example, which is the toughest and greatest gladiator, athlete, and working dog ever, which was bred and is used to take on and control large animals like bulls, bears, and wild boar. Despite being the toughest, strongest pound-for-pound, and most versatile dogs, American Pit bulls don't get larger than 80 pounds.
The Kangal breed can't hold a candle to the American Pit-bull breed overall.
- Why are Kurdish Kangal dogs illegal in the US?
- Which would win a Kangal or a pitbull in a dog fight?
- Where in the USA can I buy a Kangal Dog?
- Does the Kangal Dog have the strongest bite force?
MrNotebookguy: Here are some firsthand experience and some knowledge about this dog for whoever wants own one:
The Anatolian Sheppard a.k.a Sivas Kangal in Turkey. The name is Sivas Kangal in Turkey because the best of its kind comes from a town called Kangal in the city of Sivas in Turkey. Therefore people in Turkey refers it as Kangal. They breed the champion and the purest Anatolian shepherds in Kangal town.
- Anatolian Shepherd/Kangal is not an intelligent dog. You will never be able to teach tricks to it. You will never be able to walk your dog instead the dog will make you walk and most of the time run behind it.
- This dog is certainly not breed for playing catch. It is not even bred for herding a flock it mainly protects the flock. A regular Sheppard dog brings the flock to the barn and safety when a danger occurs. Kangal directly attacks the danger. Those are specific breeds and referred as Wolf Strangler or Bear Strangler. It also herds nearly as efficiently as other shepherd dog breeds.
- It will not be your guard dog. Because Anatolian Shepherds/ Kangals mostly decide itself what the danger is and the time to act. So while your Kangal is in relax mode no matter what you do you won't be able to make it attack someone. When it is in alert mode you won't be able to make it calm. But when living in confined space Anatolian Sheppard is always protecting its territory against every stranger.
- Generally good with children recognizes the family as its flock and behave very well mannered around them. Especially if a Kangal is grown in a family since puppy ages. Family and the Kangal are near inseparable. Not being with it might cause psychological trauma the dog. When it loves someone it truly does. Can even stop eating for days when abandoned by its family.
Do I recommend Anatolian Shepherd? Hell no get a German Sheppard instead or a Belgian Malinois
Koray: Kangals can even take care of a child. Very protective. I had one in my apartment and you can see even he is really crying which makes him so special. This video is not reflecting Kangals truly. I think they are the best dogs on this world.
Walid Abbas: I have seen one in person in Houston. The guy said he takes his dog on 3 mile walk every day. And the dog doesn't even feel it. So if u live in city. Don't buy it. They need alot of space.